Different shades of green:
Green with envy
Fly away green
Green grow the lilies oh
Swear by green
What am I going to do now green
I want a new job green
Kill all these bitches green
Go away green
Make me a better person green
I don’t care green
1. The city went dark, bruised. First pale green at the edges then purple with spots of red where blood burst from the capillary confine and then darker, the black of abused flesh. Flesh left alive to suffer more.
2. We danced in the dust under bare boughs, between the bony cypress knees.
3. Fear is a kind of god, maybe even the oldest god. Fear can make of us one tasty meal despite all the hard work our parents put into the lies they whispered over our cribs about the terrible state of our bodies to gods who only want to eat the most beautiful of children.
4. Some people think vultures are overindulgent. I think they’re just really, really hungry. Their wings choke the sky, fill the atmosphere with feathers but their bellies are never full. One day they’ll eat the world.
5. A voice from the hollow, bound to fingertips of those who reach through the air and feel for what is hiding there.
6. The sunset is beautiful like a jellyfish is beautiful and it kills everything it touches, slowly, with diaphanous, poisonous rays that float through the sky like arms extending for a cruel embrace.
for Suzie, Aaron, and Bill
1. good dreams that never want to wake up
2. best friends, unconditional love
3. music only cats can hear
4. rosemary that refuses to stop growing
5. all the stories you want to read
6. all the hours you want back
7. the grey storm streaked with lightning
8. the soft sounds